Wednesday, July 05, 2006

walking in my husbands footsteps

Let me tell you how I came to take up this adventure.
In 2003, my husband did all of California's 14,000 foot mountains (except for Mt. Williamson, which was closed to protect the big horn sheep breeding season).
This record setting feat took 3 days, 12 hours, and 11 minutes. I was at home with our newborn son and our 2 1/2 year old daughter.
Hans would call me from the summit of each climb so that I could share in the adventure.
I got so caught up in the excitement of his amazing quest that on the final day, I packed up my two little ones for a blitz up to the trailhead of Mt. Shasta, his final peak!!
We made it just in time to see Papa run to the support car! He was sooooo surprised!
Luckily, my children weren't too abused by the long through drive! : )

My husband is an elite athlete. But, I didn't let that fact deter me from dreaming of doing the same thing.
I am proud to walk in his footsteps! Even if at a substantially slower pace! : )
This July 8th, I will be setting the women's speed record on all of the 14ers, including Mt. Williamson. (I plan on doing it before the closing on July 15th.)
I have allowed 9 days.
I just have one question for everyone, "Will you grind for it?!!!"
I am saying,"YES!"

Love to you all,
Jacki

No comments: